healthy living banner

.

Tuesday 7 May 2013

Food Supplements for Ulcerative Colitis

Although most food supplements are a waste of time - in the case of ulcerative colitis there are two reasons why supplements may be useful -

 

Compensation for poor absorption of vitamins B and Folic Acid

Ulcerative colitis causes impaired function of the colon - and hence vitamins that are generally absorbed in the colon will benefit from supplementation. The main vitamin family concerned is the B vitamin family - especially folic acid if mesalazine is being taken. It is therefore prudent to take a moderate vitamin B-Complex supplement and a folic acid supplement. Please note that high potency vitamin B supplements (1000% RDA upwards) should not be taken - as they are likely to be harmful.

 

Aloe Vera

There is now some firm evidence that Aloe Vera has therapeutic effects for the treatment of ulcerative colitis. Recent research on Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of oral aloe vera gel for active ulcerative colitus seems to show positive results. Hopefully more research into this area will follow in the near future.

 

Fish Oil

In a number of studies omega-3 fish oil has proven helpful in treating Ulcerative Colitis. These studies have used relatively large doses - and it is though to be the anti-inflamatory effect of these oils that helps. The doses used in trials were of the order of 3.2 grams of EPA and 2.2 grams of HDA per day (10-20 capsules depending on their strength). For anyone watching their weight this comes to about 100 calories so shouldn't be a problem.

Immune System Health - Zinc and Ulcerative Colitis

Zinc is a very important mineral that plays a large part in regulating the immune system. It is not uncommon for western diets to be deficient - and it is a very cheap supplement costing typically about £2.00 per month. I would recommend a cleated zinc supplement of 15mg per day.
Much more information on Zinc can be found at 

Secrets of the immune system

but here is a snippet -
Importance of Zinc to the Immune System
Zinc is an essential element that is commonly deficient in individuals who eat a diet high in cereal content but low in animal protein. Cereals contain phytic acid which binds zinc and inhibits its absorption from the intestinal tract.
Clinical signs of zinc deficiency may occur when plasma zinc concentrations drop below 65 mcg/dL. Zinc deficiency is associated with dermatitis, poor wound healing, retarded growth and sexual development, and reduced taste acuity. Values less than 33 mcg/dL are particularly associated with loss of the senses of taste and smell, abdominal pain, diarrhea, skin rash, and loss of appetite.
Zinc deficiency may be common in children with autism who may have had diarrhea for extended time periods and may contribute to their poor appetites. Zinc affects multiple aspects of the immune system, from the barrier of the skin to gene regulation within lymphocytes.
Zinc is also crucial for the normal function of cells which mediate nonspecific immunity, such as neutrophils and natural killer cell. B lymphocyte development and antibody production, particularly immunoglobulin G, is compromised by zinc deficiency. The macrophage, a pivotal cell in many immunologic functions, is adversely affected by zinc deficiency. This can dysregulate intracellular killing, cytokine production, and phagocytosis.
The effects of zinc on these key immunologic mediators is rooted in the myriad roles for zinc in basic cellular functions such as DNA replication, RNA transcription, cell division, and cell activation. Apoptosis or programmed cell death is potentiated by zinc deficiency. Zinc also functions as an antioxidant and can stabilize membranes.

Probiotics

Though it is by no means certain - it is very likely that probiotics can play a useful part in both managing and effectively curing Ulcerative Colitis. This is because they colonize the colon with harmless/beneficial bacteria that compete with the less friendly bacteria that may attack/inflame the colon. These beneficial bacteria also help digest food.

1 comment:

  1. I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor ehiaguna who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 week with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc ehiaguna email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through drehiaguna@gmail.com and also WhatsApp him +2348073908953... And He also have herbs medicine to cured the following diseases; eczema,urethra wart,chronic problems.Herpes, Cancer, Als,Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV,Infections,ulcer  ETC

    ReplyDelete